Saturday, April 10, 2010

mini diy: ruffle frame

A few days ago, Elsie gave me this sweet little painting from her recent black & white series...

DSC_5093

I loved it instantly (it kind of reminds me of this picture of mine!), but I was afraid it wouldn't stand out from our stark white walls.



So, I cut some pretty fabric into a thin strip--this piece is actually from a dress I hemmed for Elsie's shop, so it's extra special--and ruffled it by hand while making a long machine stitch down the center...

DSC_5094

Then, I just used a thin line of all-purpose, washable glue (I wanted to be able to remove it later if I needed to, and not compromise the artwork) on the back edge of the canvas, and attached the ruffle! Instant frame, instant cute.

DSC_5095

It looks so good above my desk in between these two vintage silk dresses.

Love! Thank you, Elsie! xoxo

7 comments:

Elsie Larson said...

oh my goodness.... i'm in love!

Elsie Larson said...

oh my goodness.... i'm in love!

Elsie Larson said...

haha... oops... twice.
well, make that 3. :)) XO.

Erika said...

LOVE IT!!!

Anna said...

this is so cute! we are moving right now & i am excited to do this in my craft room!! thank you for sharing.

Jennifer Perkins said...

Supa Dupa cute! As I sat and crocheted a scalloped ruffle onto a shawl for my kiddlet last night I thought to myself "wouldn't a crocheted ruffle picture frame be rad". Now I'm thinking of a whole cluster of handmade textile frames. Thanks for the tute.

courtney.janelle.sews said...

oh my gosh jennifer, you're kidding! that's adorable!! I want you to make me one hahaha :D I know how to crochet but it's not my cup of tea ;)