Friday, January 7, 2011

conflicting resolutions

On one hand, I really want to resolve to save money, spend less, have less things, pay off debt, be less materialistic.

On the other hand, I really want to update my wardrobe.

Seriously, besides a few odds and ends (a couple well-used 'going out' dresses, a few vintage pieces, a pair of 'fat jeans'...), I haven't updated my wardrobe since I stared college. Weak.

I hate a lot of the stuff I own, so much that I hardly wear any of it. I even kind of hate the stuff I wear.

Maybe I could reward myself if I ever lost the weight I've been meaning to?
I really don't need any "oh you look fine the way you are!"s. When it consistently takes me an extra hour to get dressed, because I can't find anything that fits, I'm not fine the way I am. When that hour-long search culminates in the only pair of jeans that still fit, and a t-shirt just dark enough and just loose enough that you can't tell how high-waisted and frumpy the jeans are...I'm not fine the way I am.

Anyway, if I did happen to make some kind of goal, and did happen to meet it, here are some things I would buy:


I am obsessed with these flats, omg.


A new party dress.


New tights, possibly from here.


Plaid, buffalo check, gingham, and chambray button up shirts. Ones that aren't either a little too big or a little too small. With sleeves the right length (even though I'll probably still roll them up...I want options!), and no buttons missing.


New AA shirts. I know, totally lame to 'update' a wardrobe with more t-shirts. But there will never be a day where I'm not a jeans and t-shirt girl, at least most of the time. And the ones I have are kind of getting holey!

Okay, so my shopping list is pretty sparse right now. Any suggestions? Also, any tips on what to do with nice/expensive clothes that you don't want and Plato's Closet & the like don't want? I've donated a couple trunk-fulls of clothes so far and that's all well and good...but some of this stuff would pain me to donate.

5 comments:

Morgan said...

Well, I know you said you didn't want this, but I have to.... you are absolutely gorgeous just the way you are! :)

After four kids I consider myself a bit on a expert on "transition clothes." What I suggest is buy a few things that fit you great now and that make you feel hot. The shoes would be perfect! Then, buy more when you lose the weight you want to lose. What I've found is that most of the things that I bought at a "bigger weight" (minus jeans) still look good, they just fit a little differently. The shirts might be a little more oversized, but that's in style. Dresses can always be belted, etc.

I love all of your choices. I think you need that dress! ;)

Meredith said...

seriously i know how you feel. about the money and the transition clothes thing. after the kid, i was so not the size i wanted to be and had to work on that for a few months. i pretty much lived in sweats which is not cool so i think it's worth it to get a few pieces you feel great in as is and then add to them as you get closer to the goal. (are you listening, self! that's so what we'll be doing next time!) good luck ;)
YOURS, MINE AND OURS

Anonymous said...

I like that tights link!! They have a great size selection and a millllion colors :)
xo! LA
ps. emailing you right now ;)

red dirt revival said...

oh man I am TOTALLY at the same point in my life regarding the weight thing. It's like, I know I'm not FAT, but I just don't feel like ME and it takes me FOREVER to get dressed! and yes, I do the just-dark-and-flowy-enough-to-hide the-high-waisted-jeans-dance... so annoying... BUT clothes that FIT you well- even if they are a larger size than you're used to wearing- always look better and make you feel more comfortable. reward yourself. it's a new year :)

Mandi Stephanie said...

i am loving chambrays and plaids right now too :) and yes i roll the sleeves too!